Saturday, October 30, 2010

Proud!!

*We interrupt the previously planned post with an OMG moment*

It's not polite to brag on yourself.  I'm not sure why.  If you don't do it, it's not like there is a line of folks knocking down your door to do it for you!  Nonetheless, we people find it hard to give ourselves a big ole pat on the back!

I'm not patting my back, because quite frankly right now that would require just a bit more effort than I can muster!

I just finished Week 4, Day 1 of Couch to 5k.  I've never been a runner, or a jogger, or even a walk really faster.  In High School when you had to walk the mile in a set amount of time, decided by some desk jockey in Washington, I'd get it done in that amount of time.  I don't remember having to actually jog it though.  I hated to get sweaty in the middle of the day and I hated more the black eyes the girls left before the great invention of sports bras.

Tonight?  Tonight I ran for a full 16 minutes.  SIXTEEN people!  Not in a row, the routine for this week is Jog 3 walk 1.5, Jog 5 walk 2.5 repeat.  I didn't stop!  I gave myself permission to stop after 3 minutes on the second 5 if I needed to, but when I looked at my phone I only had 90 seconds left so I pushed through.  I don't know the last time I've ever been so proud of ME!

The old me would focus on the fact that my speed wasn't that fast.  My 9 year old son was with me and at one point was walking at my jogging pace.  Being the sweet loving brat child that he is, he didn't fail to point that out.  I just laughed and picked up the pace a little.  I also felt good knowing I was setting a new example, one that went out to exercise at 8pm on a Saturday night instead of one curled up under a blanket with a pint of Ben & Jerry's watching movies!

Do you find it hard to brag on yourself?  What has made you proud lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment