Monday, November 1, 2010

Deadline Dieting

Every weight loss attempt has a catalyst.  Maybe you saw a picture of yourself or got a negative result from a doctor or put on your favorite pair of pants and they wouldn't button.  By an inch.  Or two.

My catalyst this time is a vacation we are taking in March 2011.  We were scheduled to take a cruise this past February but had to back out due to one of our offspring electing to have surgery.  That he didn't have in typical 18 year old fashion, but that is a whole other blog post!  Our friends went on the cruise and had a great time and convinced us to book one for a year later.  I knew I wouldn't be fully happy on the cruise at my current weight so I needed to start losing.  But I had a year!  As you can see, it took me a few months to get fully committed.

Fully committed is what I am!  We are now under 17 weeks until the cruise and I'm determined to drop another 25 pounds!  That is not an unreasonable goal generally, but with the holiday's coming up I know it will take quite a bit of mental fortitude.  I'm a tough cookie!  I can handle it!

Only sometimes I'm not.  Sometimes?  It really sucks to be on a deadline!  Friday night was one of those nights. I'd had a rough week at work and was just all around worn out and we had a costume party to go to.  For the first time in a long time I was eager dress up and have a good time.  I also really wanted to enjoy several adult beverages.  I have the snarkiest metabolism in history though, and just the slightest amount of alcohol slows it to a crawl.  So I took my large diet coke and sipped that all night.  I allowed myself to have a small helping of some heaven on earth cheesy potatoes and a pudding and cream cheese desert and tried to remind myself it would be worth it come March.

A picture of myself and The Husband and our youngest adorable kids




If I had not been on a "deadline" I would have risked a drink or two and if I didn't lose this week no big deal - its not a race.

In the end I was rewarded with a good loss on Saturday morning that maintained Sunday and today so I'm very happy I didn't indulge.  Still kind of wish I could have though!

Are you on a deadline?  Does it get the better of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment